Thursday, November 13, 2008

Burgled and Ransacked

A quiet Thursday night at the Vic. A policeman was going round, asking “Does anyone here live in 67A African street?” After coming up zero on a quick mental inventory of any contraband lying around at home, John nervously stepped forward and said “Uh, yes, I do”. “I’ve afraid I’ve got some bad news”, said the cop. “Your house has been broken into and ransacked. Please come with us”.

Ransacked!
John pushed open the ajar kitchen door, and peered in. “Can you see if anything’s missing?”Asked the cop as he followed him in. “Uh… no, not that I can see”, John replied. “But look at this place! Its been ransacked!” Said the cop, in with rising outrage.

“Um… no, not really” replied John, “We live like this”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need two posts here: one for getting robbed, and one for experiences of the po-lice. I was robbed 4 times in total, twice completely cleaned out. I was also arrested twice, once by the legendarily Chris Els who was a violent and nasty man who was exiled to New Zealand to avoid prosecution over some sordid incident. The other occasions was when a traffic cop arrested me for roof surfing down High Street. I spent 6 hours in the station but they let me go because it wasn't illegal to damage your property, or to roof surf under the influence.

Jeannie said...

Ha! I love word verification. This one is menica, which is obviously what you were to society, Dave :-)

We got cleaned out so regularly in Trollope Street that we stopped bothering to report it. It wasn't as though we had anything left worth stealing. I remember the name Chris Els - every student had a healthy dread of him!

Anonymous said...

I once had the exquisite pleasure of shooting Chris Els on the head during a game of paintball at Brickies.

He really was a horrible person. Once he kicked down the door of my digs to arrest me for not paying speeding fines. He could have just rung the bell!! The key to understanding his evident hatred of students was that he was deeply envious of our carefree lifestyles.