Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Campus Perves

We all had them. Mine never really conformed to a type, unless ‘winsome’ is a category.
 
My physical reaction to their proximity was real as an asthma attack. Perve du jour would walk into a room, my heart would leap into my throat, beating loud as a drum in a biscuit tin, and previously coherent sentences would congeal in my mouth like lumpy plasticine. Tearing my gaze away I’d quickly fumble back what I was doing: talking to my friends in Kaif; drinking a beer in The Union; or hamfistedly fielding a question from my English tutor- but all the time my whole body knew where they were, like an agitated Pointer dog. In severe cases I was simply overcome and would have to leave the room, party, or lecture hall. I’d sigh back against a wall, breathe deep and count to ten.
 
They brightened my days though. The radiance of a beautiful girl was something that lit up all us mortals as we orbited round them. Like the sun, you could never brazenly gawp at a campus perve too long, but you could bask in the warmth of their comeliness. The mere thought of one would have me bumbling off in a dumbly smiling dwaal, recording endless mix tapes to them in my head. 

In four years I ended up dating two campus perves. I felt like a lottery winner, and I distinctly remember thunderous applause from my friends that night I first kissed Nadja in the Vic. The relationships were giddy, flying close to the sun experiences that lasted all too short. I learned you had to punch your own weight class.

They live on in songs from those mental mix tapes. I wonder where they are now?

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I'm so glad to hear guys had that physical reaction thing too! They always seemed so cool and laid back and confident to me. Coming straight from an all girls school, it could be rather intimidating!

I miss mix tapes. I haven't made one since 1996, and even then I felt nostalgic doing it. One of these days I'm determined to get with the times and get an IPOD or similar, just so I can pick and choose my music again. God knows when that'll be though! Did you see your ol' stomping ground under a foot of snow over the weekend, btw??

timothymarcjones said...

Jeannie,
The snow in Nottingham Road looks amazing. Wish I coulda been there. We had hectic (4 foot deep) snow in Howick in '87. School closed for a week. Yay!

Jeannie said...

Now *there's* a golden memory :-) Sadly the snow is all gone and the dry winds are back, causing elevated fire risk AGAIN. Come ON rainy season!